Caribbean Sea Adventure
About San José
Seven Faces of Paradise
Join us on this extensive Caribbean cruise with MS Roald Amundsen, covering seven countries in North and Central America: the USA, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Colombia, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
Starting in the non-stop energy of New York City, we head to Charleston, South Carolina, considered to be one of America’s greatest historic treasures, before stopping at the laid-back city of Key West, Florida, renowned for rich coral reefs and charming pastel-tinted houses.
Natural and Cultural Beauty
We sail further south to experience some of the remote islands of the Caribbean. Visit Isla de Providencia, Corn Island and San Andrés where you can relax at the beach, snorkel among stunning tropical fish, experience Creole traditions and enjoy the Caribbean live-and-let-live lifestyle.
Ocean Serenity and Wildlife
This is a far-ranging voyage and offers relaxing days at sea to spend at your leisure. Join in lectures or other activities or simply relax and enjoy the ship´s facilities. All along the way, the expedition team will share their knowledge and inspire your curiosity and wonder. At times, our expedition ship will be escorted by seabirds, and other times by playful dolphins.
Our adventure ends in colorful Puerto Limón, Costa Rica.
- Sail from New York City and explore the highlights of the Caribbean
- Enjoy an extensive cruise covering a fantastic range of experiences in seven countries
- Visit tropical island paradises and lovely sandy beaches
- Discover rich cultures and abundant wildlife
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer from ship in Puerto Limón to hotel in San José including lunch and an excursion
- One hotel night in San José after the voyage including breakfast
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail through
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- Visa for USA (ESTA) is required
- On this trip, a vaccine for yellow fever is required. The vaccination must be done at least 10 days before your departure. Please bring the vaccination certificate on your expedition cruise.
For more details please see Entry Requirements
The Big Apple - New York - Embarkation
Our expedition cruise starts in energetic, one-of-a-kind New York City amidst beautiful autumn color splendor. Spend some time enjoying everything Manhattan has to offer before embarking on MS Roald Amundsen. Join us on deck as we sail out of New York Harbor, past the Statue of Liberty.
Lectures and Legends - At sea
Days at sea are yours to enjoy. The expedition team will start its series of introductory lectures about history, biology and life in the ocean. Enjoy the ship’s onboard facilities and go out on deck to spot marine wildlife and sea birds guiding our vessel.
Historic Treasure - Charleston, USA - Full Day
Charleston is considered one of Americas greatest historic treasures. With cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages and an elegant French Quarter, the city is ideal to explore on foot. Stroll the magnificent Battery promenade and Waterfront Park. Explore the city’s historic sites at your leisure or join one of our optional excursions.
Beach Cleanup (1 - 3 hrs)
Help us keep our oceans clean. The most important daily task of our crews is stopping waste before it reaches the sea. On every landing at every destination, we encourage our guests to help us collect and properly dispose of waste. We also arrange large beach cleanups at carefully selected spots.
Learning and Relaxing - At sea
Spend time on deck as we head south and feel the air getting warmer and warmer. Enjoy the serenity of sea days. Listen in as our experienced lecturers share their extensive knowledge and meet our expedition team outside on deck to spot marine wildlife and sea birds.
Hemmingway and Caribbean Villas - Key West, USA - Half Day
The southernmost island in the Florida Keys and only 90 miles from Cuba, laid-back Key West is perfect for a day of exploration. Stroll amidst 19th century architecture in Old Town, visit the Ernest Hemmingway House Museum, or just chill with a drink at the famous Sloppy Joe’s Bar.
Old Trolley Tour (1 hr)
See Key West on a one-hour tour aboard the Conch Tour Train or Old Town Trolley. Travel down picturesque streets and get close-up views of what makes Key West special. The tour conductors create a festive air by sharing the island’s history with knowledge and humour.
Serenity at Sea - At sea
Our expedition team continues its lecture program, sharing their vast knowledge and experience and letting you know about plans for the exciting days ahead.
Ruins, Beaches and Turquoise Seas - Cozumel, Mexico - Full Day
We visit San Miguel de Cozumel. Spend the day ashore in this lively island town, enjoying the restaurants, cafes and nearby beaches. Discover the island at your leisure or join one of the offered optional excursions.
Orientation tour to the beach (4 hrs)
Join a narrated tour to the heart of downtown Cozumel to see historic buildings, including the main church and clock tower. Get ample opportunities to take photos and shop for unique souvenirs. We then proceed to a local beach for a relaxing swim or simply stretching out in the sand before returning to the ship.
Reefs, Research and Reptiles - Isla de Útila - Half Day
Known for its coral reefs and dive sites, Útila is the smallest of the Honduras Bay Islands. We go ashore in Útila Town, the island´s only settlement. Spend the afternoon enjoying the relaxed pace, visit the Iguana Research & Breeding Station or take in the beautiful beaches.
Learning and Relaxing - At sea
Enjoy a pleasant day at sea as we make our way further south. The expedition team will recap the cruise so far and prepare you for the next three days of tropical island experiences. Spend time on deck and watch for birds and other wildlife following us on our journey.
Remote Tropical Paradise - Isla de Providencia, Colombia - Full Day
Providencia is an unspoiled tropical island with traditions that have remained intact. You still hear English Creole spoken here. Enjoy breathtaking scenery, lovely sandy beaches, friendly locals, and a gorgeous sunset before we set sail late in the evening.
Cultural Show (45 mins)
Enjoy a 45-minute performance of music, percussion and dance presented by a 15-member troop of Providencia Island artists. Hear cultural influences from Latin America, Africa and the Antilles, and marvel at the mix of music and dance styles, including la socca, calypso, mento, foxtrot, jumping polka, shoteische and pasillo.
Days of Adventure - San Andrés Island, Colombia - Full Day
Another day in paradise awaits. Explore some of San Andrés Island’s natural attractions at your leisure or join one of the offered optional activities of the day.
Lobster and Jungle - Corn Island, Nicaragua - Full Day
The Creole inhabitants of Great Corn Island live in colorful wooden houses and earn most of their income from lobster fishing. Enjoy white sand beaches, snorkeling in crystal-clear waters, or hike up Mount Pleasant Hill for a view of the entire island.
Island Style - Bocas del Toro, Panama - Full Day
We round up our extensive tropical cruise by calling on Bocas del Toro, an archipelago of cays and thousands of islets. Bocas is brimming with sandy beaches and is called the “Galápagos of the Caribbean” because it is one of the most biologically diverse places on Earth.
Water taxi to local beach with nature trail walk (2 - 4 hrs)
Travel by local tender boats to one of two beaches on either Solarte Island or Bastimentos Island to relax or walk on one of many trails. Solarte Island is a nature reserve without electricity. Watch for leaf-cutter colonies, birds of all types and red frogs. You might also spot three-toed sloths, rare birds and eagles. Red Frog Beach is located on Bastimentos Island, not far from Isla Colon, and you walk to the beach on a jungle trail.
Architecture and Marketplaces - Puerto Limón / San José, Costa Rica - Disembarkation & Overnight stay
Puerto Limón features fascinating architecture and vibrant open-air marketplaces. The central market is the place to go to buy everything from carved wood items to traditional souvenirs. After disembarkation, we transfer you to San José for your overnight stay. On the way, enjoy a fascinating excursion to Tortuguero Canal.
End of the Expedition - San José, Costa Rica
Today your expedition comes to an end. If you’d like to extend your stay in Costa Rica, we recommend booking one of our post-cruise Land Adventures to visit, for example, beautiful Manuel Antonio National Park.